Monday, June 4, 2007

Today, Block 3 said, "Go stand up front, close your eyes, and open your hands. But be careful, you might cry." I almost cried just because he said that. They handed me a card signed by the whole class with little comments like "You're a great teacher," "I'll miss you," "For a first year teacher, you're amazing." It made my heart melt. And, they gave me a very generous gift certificate to Barnes & Noble AND Starbucks. Another girl crocheted me a blanket. Another girl handed me a note saying, "Thanks for helping me out. I brought my grade from an F to a B." It was beautiful. I love these kids, and I'm really going to miss them.

I'm reading Me Books right now. I love reading all their silly love poems, looking at their random pictures, and their collages of all things material. I remember when I was that age I had torn up magazine pictures all over my walls. For some reason, pre-teens love name brands and pop-culture. Likely because they're trying to figure out their place amongst it all. These books really bring me back to who I was at that age.

Today, I caught a kid singing "On the Radio", the song I analyzed for them back in January. I said, "Who sang that?" meaning who was the kid singing. But then almost the whole class yelled "Regina Spektor!" I thought, "they're going to remember this forever." I'm really feeling sad and wistful that this year is over, but I'm also really excited for next year. I intended to read my epic I wrote for Block 1 today, but Joe, the hero of my epic (because he's the one who asked me to write it), wasn't here for the 3rd day in a row. I'm really dissapointed that he doesn't show up to school anymore, and am worried about him in high school. But he might be retained anyway. Which makes me worry even more.

No comments: